Topic Brainstorm

I can't believe it is already that time where I should be thinking about my project. There are just so many topics to pick from! Here are my top 4.

1. The Origins of Vietnam and/or Legends of Vietnam
This topic is my first and foremost because it is a story about me. I grew up hearing some of these stories either through my parents (my grandparents were born in the 1910s-1920s, so they had passed) or during my Vietnamese literature class at temple. Also, there are a lot of traditions and sayings I've heard, but I have always wondered about the story behind it. After researching a little, I've learned a little bit about these stories and can't wait to create a multi-part story about them. Most of them are love stories, so this might be a way to connect all of them. I want all my stories to be sort of inter-connected somehow and not choppy.
(Photo taken by TALAHUY of a morning in Vietnam: Pixabay)

2. Weather Gods
Growing up in Moore, Oklahoma, I have seen all types of weather, except hurricanes, of course. Weather has always been a big part of my life. I remember the fear of tornadoes striking this small town time after time and the once-in-a-while snowfall that brings joy to every little kid. I think it will be interesting to learn about the different weather gods from each culture and see how it shapes the culture. An idea I had was to maybe write about a group conference where the weather gods from different cultures come and attend. I might have it as a UN kind of conference and each story might be like a different committee talking about what to do about all the weather situations. I am starting my research by looking up the sun gods.
(Photo of the clouds in the sky by lillaby: Pixabay)

3. Fairy tales: Princesses
Who doesn't love PRINCESSES? I know I always wanted to be one, ever since I was little. A lot of us are usually exposed to the Disney princesses, but there are so much more to read. I want to read more about some princesses who are independent and proactive in the stories, a nice different perspective from the typical princess. At the end, I was thinking about writing a story about a Masquerade ball with all the different princesses from all cultures and trying to pair them up with different princes. I think this will be a funny take on a princess story. Could you imagine what would happen if Aladdin met, maybe, Princess Aurora? The possibilities are endless! I am starting my research with a princess story from Japan.
(Photo of the beast and some Disney princesses: Wikimedia Commons)

4. Fables with Dogs
Lastly, I love dogs so much! They are the bane of my existence, so I want to try to incorporate dogs into my storybook. I am reading different fables that include dogs and seeing the dog's position in each fable. However, I am not very sure how to create a cohesive storybook with the dog idea. Maybe, create like a bedtime story filled with fables that include dogs for a little puppy. This could be like an older mom or dad telling these stories to the puppy about his family members. I know my dad always told me stories about his siblings and what happened in their lives. I always found it funny to hear my aunt's childhood stories because then I would be like, "Wow! I guess I wasn't so bad after all haha". 

(Photo of a playful golden retriever by John Voo: Flickr)
Let me know what you think of my ideas and any stories I could spin off. All comments are welcomed. 

Comments

Popular Posts