Week 12 Lab: Crash Courses on Mythology

Hi everyone! It has been a long time since I've written such an informal post. I hope finals has everyone ready for the summer. I know I will miss this class!

This week, I watched a few Crash Course videos, learning more about ins and outs of mythology, including the history and theories of it. It was definitely interesting. I like the point where Mike talks about the two purposes of myths, being significance and staying power. I think there is often a misconception that myths are all false and that they are stories just told for fun, but most of the time, the subject of the myth is very significant. It often describes how the world came to be or something that works in the world.

Staying power is something that really stood out to me. These myths have lasted for thousands of years! What is interesting, also, is how these myths really don't have a known author.

The second video talked about theories of myth, which was not particularly interesting for me, but I really enjoyed the part where Mike describe the different perspectives where myths came from. One was describing how Carl Jung, a psychoanalyst, believed that the "source of myths is the human unconscious and that mythical characters are projections of that unconscious".

The last video just talked about the typical story that a "hero" would go through. However, this is not true for all heroes.

You should check out these video sets!

(Photo of Narcissus and Echo from Greek Mythology: Wikipedia)

Comments

  1. It’s so cool that you spent the time to watch some videos over all of this content! I’ve always been a fan when people convert old things into newer art forms. Out of curiosity, did you have a favorite video? I’m looking into picking up some extra credit to end the semester and this sounds like a really cool way to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts