Week 11 Story: In a Small Town...

In a Small Town.... 

Out in this small town, there was nothing to do except watch the tumbleweeds blow back and forth. However, this boredom would not stop this pair of boys who were looking for something to do. They were wandering around a street, keeping their eyes open for a fun project. Suddenly, they heard a booming voice coming out of nowhere.

(Tumbleweeds: Flickr)
"Get out of my way", it said. 

The boys spun around and towards the direction of the booming voice. They saw that it was a little girl about half the height of them, standing with a frown on her face. 

"Awe. Hi little girl. What makes you think that we will yield to your way? You are just a little girl. You can't do anything," they said confidently to the little girl's face. 

"I am going to tell you again. Get out of my way. If you don't, you are going to regret it because you're going to get hurt, " she said, unfazed by the boys' confident stance. 

"Well, we are going to tell you again. We will not move. We are not scared of a little girl like you." they responded back to her threat. 

Suddenly, the girl kicked one guy in the place where the sun never shines and the other guy in his leg. The guys fell to the ground on both sides, creating a path for the girl to walk through essentially. 

As the guys were rolling on the ground in pain and agony, they look up to see the girl walking away in the distance. 

She yells, "I told you so," as her beautiful blond hair flows in the wind away from the boys. 

After recovering from the intense pain they experienced, they vowed to get revenge. As they scattered home and had some dinner with their parents. They went to sleep and forgot all about the little girl that injured them.

Author's Note: This story was very similar to the original. In the original, the coyote were the boys, and the snake is the little girl. Snake told them to walk around her, while the coyote did not want to. Snake told Coyote that he will die if he did not move, and in my story I changed it to being injured. Snake then bit Coyote secretly and after that Coyote died. In my story, the boys did not believe the girl. There is really no reason for why I picked a boy and a girl. It just came to my mind as I was writing this. 

Bibliography: Coyote and Snake from Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913)

Comments

  1. Hi Anhthu!

    Wow, this story is hilarious! I have never read the original but your version seems more humorous and interesting just based off of the description of the original you give in your author's note. Great work with making this story your own while keeping the original plot! One small thing I recommend is to keep the tense the same throughout (which you mostly did, up until the last few sentences). Other than that, the story is perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anhthu,

    I found your author's note so funny. I can't believe you just wrote it as boys and a little girl randomly, but it was so effective! It really did have vibes I could totally get behind. The opening paragraph and image did a great job laying the setting. Imagining a small girl with a booming voice was really comical in my mind. I almost laughed out loud at the image of her beating up those boys. Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anththu,

    Great story! I hadn't read the original so I was interested to see what it was about and how you had changed it. I liked how the background you gave the story could be a place where coyotes and snakes are found, however, you changed them to people. I think it is more relatable that way. We've all experienced at time when someone wasn't willing to be courteous. It would be nice if we could respond the way the little girl did!

    -Elyse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts