Week 10 Story: A Mixed Fairytale

A Mixed Fairytale

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Cinderella. Her mother had passed away when she was younger, and her dad remarried a much younger woman, too. Her dad later passed away, too. Thus, she grew up in a family, where her step-mother would always bully her and make her do all the chores around the house. She was more of a servant than a step-daughter or step-sister to their family.

One day, her step-mother told her to go outside, in the middle of the winter, and get her berries. She knows that her step-daughter could no way do this. She just loved making this girl miserable, especially since her darn father left her nothing behind, giving that good-for-nothing girl all his assets. She will, of course, not let that happen.

Back to Cinderella now, she trekked outside, knowing that this was a dead-end quest. However, she stumbled upon a small house out in the middle of the woods. This house belonged to the seven dwarves. She gently knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" the dwarves cried.

"My name is Cinderella. I am here looking for berries" said Cinderella innocently.

The dwarves let her in. They were just so confused as to why a girl would be looking for berries in the middle of the winter. After she explained to them the story about her step-mother, they agreed to help her. These dwarves were magical dwarves; they could make anything happen. Thus, they made strawberries appear at the roof of the house under all the snow. They told Cinderella to go look for it up there. As she dug away at the snow, there it was. Red, luscious strawberries.

(Strawberries: Wikimedia Commons)

These dwarves felt bad for the girl, so they transformed her into a new girl with new clothes, new shoes, new hair, new everything. However, this was not good enough for them. Every time she sneezed, out came gold.

Cinderella scurried back home as it was getting late. When she stepped in, her persona was just radiating due to all the new clothes and the happiness on her face. Her step-mother was shocked as to where this new-found joyfulness and new clothes had come from. Cinderella had even brought home berries in the middle of winter! Suddenly, Cinderella sneezed and out came gold. Over the course of the next few months, rumors start spreading of the girl who sneezed gold, and suitors from all around came to see her, but not the step-sister. Thus, the step-mother was jealous and told her daughter to also do what Cinderella did and go to the dwarves' house.

The step-daughter did that, but being raised spoiled, she was very rude and inconsiderate to the dwarves. They made it so that every time she sneezed, it will smell like toenails. Thus, no suitor ever came to court her, and she and her mother lived happily ever after.

Author's Note: This story is similar to the original. The step-daughter goes out in the snow to find berries and comes across a house with men. They are relatives of hers. Everything else is the same, but instead of sneezing, the original story had written about spitting. I took that out because that is kind of gross to me because who just spits a lot. I also added more details on why the step-mother was so hasty in sending her daughter to get berries too. I thought it was funny to end the story with the statement that says how the step-daughter and mother live happily ever after instead of a prince. Lastly, this story just reminds me a combination between Cinderella and Snow White, hence the references in the story.

Source: The True Bride from Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929).

Comments

  1. Hello, Anhthu!

    I really like what you did with this story! It had never occurred to me before to combine two fairytales into one! Out of curiosity, what made you decide to utilize Cinderella and Snow White? At the end of the story, you mention that “she” lives happily ever after with her mother. I am not sure who she is referring to. From the sentence, it would seem that she refers to the step-daughter, but I am not sure what person would live happily ever after with a toenail smell after he/she sneezes. Overall, you wrote a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anhthu, I like your take on the story! When I read the name Cinderella, of course my first thought was the stereotypical ball and fairy godmother, but you did a nice twist with her meeting seven nice dwarves! It also combines the stories of the nice girl who is rewarded for being helpful, while her rude sister is punished. I think the only critique I have for your story is you jump around in your tenses, from past to present and back. Just something to be mindful of in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anhthu!

    This is such a fascinating story--I too read the original and found it so odd and very similar to the Cinderella and Snow White stories so your title made perfect sense to me! Just one minor thing--make sure to keep using the same tense througout the story. At times you slip into present tense when the story it mostly told in the past tense. But this is just a minor thing! The story was fantastic and extremely well-written and I greatly enjoyed reading it! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anhthu!

    I was chuckling all the way through this story. Everyone loves a good fairy tale, and even more when the princess does gross stuff that makes her desirable among men. Since this story is so familiar, I was so engaged the whole time to see how you were going to change it up! I was especially charmed how you included dwarves, like some awesome Cinderella and Snow White crossover. Great job! I am so happy that I got to read this story, you're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anhthu,

    I loved your story! It was a bit confusing to me at times because I am not a disney princess guru, so I was getting the stories confused. It is a good thing you put it in the Author's note because I was starting to think the dwarves were in Cinderella rather than Snow White! It was a very cool story, and I always love it when the stories have stuff from TV and Movies in them. Great job!
    Brady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Anhthu,

    I really enjoyed the mix of fairy tales you had in there! I never thought about how a mashup story would go. I certainly would have never thought about making the dwarfs the fairy god mother. How creative! I think it would add a lot if you added dialogue in the story. Really creative story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anthu,

    I don't believe I've had the opportunity to read any of your stories yet but have to say that I think your writing style is absolutely amazing. I love how everything is formatted, it definitely makes it easy for the reader to navigate and follow along with. I think it's greta that you decided to stay true to the original. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts