Week 6 Lab: EmpoWord Ch. 2

In this writing manual, it raised a point that I thought was super interesting. It talks about how when you focus onto the details, you often can say more, which might sound a little bit odd. I see that with my writing sometimes. I try to focus more on the background and cover everything. In fact, I can just get straight to the point and give more details about that idea. In turn, this way tends to reveal more about my story!

Another thing I really like is the idea of "in medias res", which means in the middle of the things. Instead of following the typical model of exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution, a person can start right at the rising action or climax and then later talking about who the characters are and introducing the scene. I think this is a very effective way in grabbing the reader's attention.

I hope to use these two methods in my next storytelling. I will try to focus right on the aspect of a story and expanding on that scene later. I also might try starting off with some action and going back and explaining how the story has gotten up to that point!

(Once upon a time entrance by Disney Animations: Flickr)

Comments

  1. Hey, Anhthu!

    I think your idea to use the "in media res" strategy for writing is really intriguing! You see number of films do this (the whole "freeze frame at an important moment, record scratch, rewind to exposition) but I've never tried to do something similar in writing. I'm looking forward to reading the story that you try it out on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts